History of Altstadt Spandau

Beginning of the 13th century Spandau was granted a city rights. Since then, Spandau was primarily a military base that was used to defend the eastern border. In the same time, the commercial development of Spandau was began slowly spread. On the Victoria shore you can see remains of Spandau's city wall, which was built in the 14th century. Kunstremisen is created from these historic city walls.

The word “Remise” comes from the French verb “remettre” (supply, set back). For a long time the 22 Remise (sheds or stalls) were used as a supply center for horses. As a separate building type, the Remise was first used in the 19th century. The historic building located in der Jüdenstraße 1, drew attention on itself in 2002 when the discussion about changing the street name reached public. The name Jüdenstraße could be traced back to the 14th century. In 1938 Jüdenstraße was renamed to Kinkelstraße. All roads that were attributed to the word Juden (Jews) were banned and renamed by the Nazis. It was not until 57 years after the end of WW2 the street got its original name back.

In 2004 Social-Cultural Networks Casa eV in cooperation with the Spandau district office, Department of Education, Culture and Sports created 22 small galleries that can be used by art and artists. Artists introduce themselves and offer their various art movements of the public. Our goal is to expand the Spandau art venue, where artists and interested people can meet, communicate, share and linger.

Text and panorama from Sozial-Kulturelle Netzwerke Casa e.V.

 

 

 

Ich glaube an die Notwendigkeit der Kunst, - nicht als Ersatzwelt, sondern als Symbolwelt menschlicher Realität.

      J. Christoff Ammann